Friday, November 13, 2009

Blatant sexism: blame the IOC not Canada.

It seems that there has been a dissapointing result in the case of the Canadian women ski jumpers. In case you didn't know, there will be no womens ski jumping event in the 2010 olympics. This was challenged by some women ski jumpers who claim that it is a violation of their human rights or something along those lines. It is. There is no question. Men have the event and women, who use the same jump (no additional facility needed), do not. It is blatant and the IOC should be ashamed. Anyway the women took their case to the supreme court of B.C. where they have lost their case to have womens ski jumping in the 2010 olympics. Now they are saying things like "we are disappointed" and they have every right to be. But what some people will not realize is that the supreme court of British Columbia has no affect on the IOC which stands for "international" Olympic committee. The key word in this is international. The B.C. court has no jurisdiction on international issues. And in the event that the IOC has a country that it is based in (does it? I'm not sure) it is certainly not Canada. So I agree with most people. This is definitely sexist. I agree 100% and I'm sure you do. But don't blame Canada. It's not our fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment