Saturday, November 14, 2009
A little ignorance? Maybe.
While playing the real life game of clue today (I was Mr. Green) part of my role was to ask questions related to money (because Mr. Green is supposedly attached to money). I was given the suggestions of "name four major banks in Canada" (easy) or "name three types of accountants" (not so easy). Neither of these I was very keen on using so I created one on the spur of the moment. It was "who is on the Canadian five dollar bill?". Now I'm sure most of you are saying "simple" but aparantly it wasn't. After using that I went on to the ten dollar bill and the twenty. Then the hundred. Most people got the twenty fairly easily because they either knew the answer or had a twenty with them (the answer is the queen by the way). But I was shocked by the number of people who didn't know who was on the five. The most popular guess was Sir John A. MacDonald which it isn't. By then someone would pop up with Wilfred Laurier who is the correct answer but a surprising amount of people would panic and then say something like "damn I just spent one" and a surprising amount of people would say "I don't have any cash on me, s**t!". In my opinion the five dollar bill is the most common bill and I'm sure many people go through at least five or six a week. The point i'm getting at is money is something that passes through our hands so fast that we don't know anymore. And it's not like it's changed at all in the last twenty years. I'm sure if you went to another country they would know what's on their money. I can understand why many people don't know who is on the hundred because so many people and stores are not accepting them any more that many people just don't ask for them when they are at the bank any more. Just in case you think I don't know who is on the money, Wilfred Laurier is on the five, John A. MacDonald is on the ten, the queen is on the twenty, and Borden is on the hundred. And I didn't have to look those up or check my wallet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment