Monday, November 23, 2009

And it begins...

I have taken a step forward in my technical stage career and accepted the position of stage manager for my schools sears festival play. This is the first time I've been put in charge of something that is actually quite important and I have to say I'm a little nervous. It seems like a lot of work at first but once you break it down it really isn't much. Once I decide who will be doing what I just sit down and call the shots from "the box" if you will. Of course then I was told that in theory I end up running the show because during the actual performances I'm the one in charge of the whole show, not the director(s). Also during the rehersals I'm the one who has to keep track of what is needed (props, sets, etc.) where everyone is, who is supposed to be at rehesals and everything in between. It seems that all I don't have to do is get up on stage and act. But oh well it's stuff I enjoy so I suppose it could be fun. If anyone has any advice that they could give me that could help me in my task it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I saw a bumper sticker today that said "it's all eves fault". I know it has nothing to do with anything I said I just thought i'd mention it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually kind of nervous for sears festival too beacuse if i screw up everything goes black and the performance has no chance of winning ... and the thing that will help you succeed is taking notes cuz if you forget even a single thing it'll be quite bad...im also kind of excited about it because i enjoy this kind of stuff and i have a cool title "Lighting Director"...good luck to you William you'll probably need it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Will! You'll have a BLAST I promise! I'm trying to think what I can offer in terms of advice... Let's see... Well, keep your eyes and ears open ALL THE TIME because you never know what you'll pick up that may be useful later on. Try to stay organized and on top of things because falling behind is Hell. Remember that at the end of the day- YOU RUN THE SHOW, and what you say goes- No one knows the limits of the auditorium, the volunteers, and the available resources better than you. Be firm but fair (as well as accommodating). And finally, the Stage Crew Room has a very comfortable couch that is always available for afternoon naps, I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage :) Don't hesitate to call me if you need anything at all! Break a leg!

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. @evil mitts. even if i take notes i'll probably forget what i was supposed to do.

    @melissa. thanks. what you said sounds almost exactly like what Mr. Black said to me on the first day.

    ReplyDelete